Led by Luke Downey View Instructor Bio
What will I learn?
- Improve flexibility in your portfolio by adding options
- Approach Calls as down-payments, and Puts as insurance
- Interpret expiration dates, and distinguish intrinsic value from time value
- Calculate breakevens and risk management
This course includes:
- Over 5 hours of on-demand video, exercises, and interactive content.
- A free Excel spreadsheet that helps you calculate the value of your options over an inputted time and value
- You will also receive a free month of Lucas Downey's Mapsignals service.
This course is for: intermediate traders looking to begin trading options, and a brokerage account is a prerequisite. It simplifies options buying and selling and—above all—shows you how to “wait for the slow pitch.”
Certificate of Enrollment
Receive an Investopedia Academy Certificate of Enrollment with this course
- Options Course Intro
- Course Goals
- What You'll Need
- Understanding Options Intro
- What Are Options?
- Intrinsic Value vs. Time Value
- Understanding Options Conclusion/Recap
- Puts and Calls Introduction
- What are Puts?
- What are Calls?
- Buying Options
- Selling Options
- Buying Puts
- Buying Calls
- Selling Puts
- Selling Calls
- Puts and Calls Conclusion
- Buying & Selling Review
- Breakeven & Risk Management Workbook
- Calculating Risk Intro
- Calculating Buying Calls
- Calculating Selling Calls
- Calculating Buying Puts
- Calculating Selling Puts
- Calculating Risk Conclusion
- Patient Analysis Intro
- Time On Your Side
- Patient Analysis Conclusion
- Four Trade Setup Workbook
- Trade One - Income Trade - Selling Call
- Trade Two - Income Trade - Selling Put
- Trade Three - Insurance Protection
- Trade Four - Stock Replacement
- Trade Setup Conclusion
- Charts & Grids Intro
- Live Trade Intro
- Covered Call Sale
- Targeted Purchase
- Buy Insurance
- Long Exposure
- Bonus Trade
- Live Trade Conclusion
About the Instructor
Luke served as Head of ETF Sales at Cantor Fitzgerald. While in this seat, he began to notice the importance that institutional trading activity had on the movements and direction of stocks. He spent years observing these activities and in his free time, with a partner, began designing quantitative models to look for unusual trading activity. He later moved to Jefferies, LLC as an SVP of Derivatives. There he published stock research based around the unusual activity signals he was developing. He later left Wall Street to work on this research full time at MAPsignals.com.
Students are Saying...
Options for Beginners is an outstanding course that is well structured and easy to navigate. I really valued the professional approach of Luke. I now feel confident to go out and do some basic options trades after taking this course.
The course overall was well done and very informative. I feel more comfortable with options after taking the course and it will be an excellent source for reviewing option concepts. I intend to take some other courses soon!
As someone looking for a new income path, Investopedia Academy was exactly what I was looking for. Options for Beginners course and Become a Day Trader provided me a foundation of how to trade. The courses helped me understand the big picture of trading and the risks involved.
I needed an entry-level understanding of the markets, and this course provided me with the crisp and clear information I was after. Most courses and sites make trading very complex, but David Green laid out his strategy in a very easy and straightforward manner. David aligned the content of the course perfectly with his day trading strategy; he could be an outstanding Business School Professor too.
I am really enjoying the Technical Analysis course. They have a great professor that is simple and easy to understand, especially for a beginner like me!
Check out to get access to these online courses right away.